Types of hosting services
A hosting service entails hoarding and/or sharing certain content on a web server administered by a hosting provider. There are various types of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's have a look at these. Doing so, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to have a web site, email aliases, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution provided by certain hosts, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage accounts often involve adverts beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given span of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inappropriate explanation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the tasks at hand between autonomous hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous hosting services (mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a brand of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some providers provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share an immense quantity of pictures with friends or associates since the service is commonly free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to tackling your e-mail address accounts. Some corporations offer web hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred website visitors, you may have a problem with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many video files as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to have a site. To a certain degree, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video clips, etc. At OgniTech, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting solutions that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be limitations based on the form of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for specific web content solely.